Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Overflowing with Goose-bumps

This week I find myself obsessed.

I have been fixated on one single song that gave me goose-bumps. It wasn't just the song that gave me chills, it was the moment, the people I was with and the Holy Spirit flooding my heart. I have not felt that connection with Jesus in a long time and at that moment I felt like I could fly.

Some of you might be wondering what melody warranted this kind of reaction. The song is titled "With Everything" by Hillsong United. I've come to learn that this little tune has been available to the public for quite sometime now, but I just got in the loop this last weekend.

When it comes to worship I would have to say that my singing is very conservative. The only time I belt out a verse is when the music is so loud that I cannot hear myself sing. This was partly the case last Sunday at Overflow, a college and 20-somethings ministry at the Kearney Evangelical Free Church. Besides the music booming out of the speakers, I had an entire choir of young people behind me praising the God that they love. It was a very intimate moment. I cannot speak for everyone, but to me it felt that I was one on one with God crying out to him.

Acts 2:2 (NLT) gives a description of what this moment felt like.
"Suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm in the skies above them, and it filled the house where they were meeting."

There is a point in the song where everyone shouts out "Whoa," and it is such a raw expression but it felt as if I was letting myself go. As my pastor would say I was being more youieyer (in other words I was being who God intended me to be) and I found immense freedom in Him.

I thank God for this experience because it has made me hungry to know Him more. I also want to thank Christ for giving the band at Overflow such unbelievable talent and for giving Hillsong the words and music to write such beautiful songs. I hope all my friends have fun at their concert in KC this Thursday and for those of you who haven't heard this song I will post a link at the end of this post.

I can't wait to have more experiences with my brothers and sisters in Christ and to get to know my Holy Father in a more intimate way. The truth about my obsession is that I am more fixated on my Savior than a melody in a song.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Cody! I didn't know that this happened sunday! I'm glad I saw this and I love "with everything" too its an incredible song.

    ReplyDelete