Thursday, March 26, 2009

Watch the cranes, but don’t be a pain


The Sandhill Cranes flock to central Nebraska every spring but the cranes are not the only living beings that flock to this area every year. These other living beings come with big suburbans, giant binoculars, and thick dark sunglasses. They come from all over to view the graceful cranes that eat and nest near the Platte River. I think it is fascinating that so many people are interested in watching these birds for long periods of time, but it is more amazing that these watchers are more preoccupied with the birds than driving or pulling off to the side of the road.

I have lived out near Ft. Kearny for most of my life and every spring I deal with the song of the cranes at early hours in the morning, but their wake up calls are not the most annoying thing that I have to deal with every spring. The most annoying thing is dodging the crane watchers wondering on the country roads and their parked suburbans taking up most of the street. I have nothing against cranes and I understand that it is necessary for them to come to this area to nest and do what they do, but is it necessary to make such a big deal about these birds? I have encountered few people from Kearney that go out and watch the cranes. This might be due to the crowd that I am around, but most people I have observed watching cranes are from other states or from other parts of Nebraska.

Over the break I happened to talk with a crane watcher from Ann Arbor, Mich. I was reporting for the Kearney Hub by getting video footage of the wild grass fire that occurred on Monday, March 23. Her name was Julie and I was talking to her because she was walking on the hike and bike trail at the Ft. Kearny Park, which was near the scene of the fire. I asked her what her thoughts were about the blazing fire?

“Well, it is really unfortunate,” she said. “I just hope these firemen can get it under control so I can come back later and view the cranes nesting in there habitat.”

My initial reaction was shock. Instead of worrying about human life and the habitat of the other animals that live in the area year round, she wants to worry about her chance of viewing the cranes nest on the Platte River. This has brought me to put together a little poem that summarizes my feelings toward the crane watchers and their actions.


Watch out crane watchers

Every year they come in groups
From all over the nation they travel in troops
I am not talking about the beautiful cranes
I am talking about the people who drive me insane

The people that park on the side of the road
And stare out into cornfields like a bunch of toads
It is fine with me if they want to sit and watch
But it seems to me that these people don't drive much

While they drive they stare out at the birds
And don't pay attention to the road and its curves
They take up the entire road when they drive and park
Luckily most of them go home after dark

The birds probably feel like big deals
I am surprised these people don't serve them meals
The crane watchers seem to think the birds are so precious
But others say when you cook them they are delicious

If you’re going to watch birds make sure you are out of the way
If you do that the locals can deal with you until the beginning of May
Like the courtesy you show cranes, show courtesy to humans
Cause if you don't my head will be fumin'

No comments:

Post a Comment