Thursday, April 9, 2009

Eternally grateful for "Eternal Sunshine"


Watching a movie without seeing any previews or reading any reviews is a scary and dangerous situation. Going into a movie blind is scary because it could be something that changes your life and dangerous because you might end up wasting two hours of your precious time. I guess you can call me a daredevil because I did just that when I popped “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” into my laptop.

The movie was lent to me from a movie connoisseur, who has been known to lend me movies that show more blood and guts than rush hour in an emergency room. He told me this movie was different and he thought I would enjoy it, so I took the risk.

The movie ended up being spectacular and it made me think about my life and the people that I love. I have to admit that I did not think these thoughts throughout the entire movie and I also doubted the capabilities of some of the actors.

The beginning of the movie gave away part of the ending, which in my book is a very risky thing to do. You cannot toy around with flashback scenes when you are trying to tell a story. Flashbacks have to be precise and timely. They must allow deeper insight without disturbing the flow of the plot. There were times in the movie I found myself lost, but I felt that the movie wanted me to be lost so it could come find me again and point me in the right direction. The entire movie is in essence one big flashback, and I felt it was a very creative and complicated story that expressed the need for love and pain in our lives.

Jim Carrey, who plays the lead character Joel, takes on a role that I have never seen him play before. When I think of Jim Carrey, I think of movie titles such as “Dumb and Dumber” and “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.” It was a bit of a shock to see him in a love story opposite Kate Winslet. Carrey had an outstanding performance. There is something about his eyes and the way you can almost read the thoughts that are going through his character’s head. He really showed his versatility as an actor in this film, and he still manages to fit in his humorous antics.

Winslet, is an actress that makes me think of movie titles such as, well, “Titanic.” Which by the way I am not a big fan, but that is another review that I will probably never write. Her performance in this film is completely different from her “Titanic” days. She plays a fun free spirited girl that is spontaneous to the core. I really enjoyed her character and found myself laughing at her almost as much as Carrey’s character.

Now, I know I didn’t reveal what the movie is really about, but I have come up with two reasons why I am not revealing the plot of this film. First, it is a complicated story that is difficult to write about without ruining the movie for all of you. All you need to know is that Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are a part of a very creative love story that might make you appreciate your past and look forward to your future. Second, I am offering you the chance to be somewhat of a daredevil like me. After reading this review you will have some clue of what to expect. Whether you will enjoy it or not? That is just one risk you will have to take.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cody, ironically enough, I was thinking about this movie about 5 minutes after class let out today...awesome flick, awesome review

    ReplyDelete