Friday, April 24, 2009

Senior's lecture

You probably won’t ever catch me saying, “Wow, college was the best experience of my life.” This is because I have hope that I experience greater things. I know for a fact that I will never miss those nights of studying with bloodshot eyes into the early morning hours.

One word of advice for those of you who use the late night study technique, Red Bull can be your best friend at one moment and your worst enemy the next. It is quite possible that those were some of the worst stomachaches I have ever experienced. It was as if an actual bull was trying to run out of my belly.

I never really got into the party scene around campus, which was good for my liver. However, it would have been good to meet more people during my time in school. Staying out all night every weekend didn’t seem fun to me. I like to remember the fun that I had, not try to put some memory puzzle together the next day. I’m not saying I never went out, but I am not what you would call a regular party animal.

College can teach you a lot about yourself. For me college has been something that has been in my way ever since I enrolled four years ago. My entire motivation while I have been on campus has been to get out as fast as I can. I never got involved with any campus organizations and only played intramural sports every once in a while. My purpose on campus was to go to school, work and sleep. Which by the way I do all three of those things very well.

Although I have not graduated yet, I do want to give some advice to those that still have a long road ahead before they get their diploma. Enjoy your time in school and try new things, but don’t think college is the highlight of your life. I know that sounds like a cliché, but from my experience this cliché is true. There are many things I did just to get by in class, because I was more focused on starting my career. The truth is your career can start anytime you want it to even when you are in college.

You might be asking if I wish I could go back and do college all over again? The answer is a definite no! I am not going to dwell on mistakes that I have made from my past. Learning from mistakes and moving on is what I am trying to accomplish. However, I am not ruling out the possibility of going back to school for some more of that education.

I do want to thank all the teachers that have influenced me on campus. Whether they were good experiences or bad, each professor taught me something. Sometimes it was something that had nothing to do with the content of the class. For example, my all time favorite class was basketball theory with coach Tom Kropp. We talked more about his life and how bad his daughter was at sports than the game of basketball, which was great.

Now in my immediate future I am going to get married and start a family with the one that I love. I am hoping and praying that there will be better experiences to come in my life with her, and having faith in knowing that there will always be something better to come is why college will be just another memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment