Friday, February 13, 2009

Basketball Bully

I love it when steroid filled 30 year old men get off by beating up on skinny college students. During a city league basketball game my team encountered the basketball bully. This guy was about 6'2" and had muscles on top of muscles. Granted, he was a great athlete that played hard and could jump out of the gym, but there is a line between being a hustle player and a jerk. This guy seemed to get enjoyment off of talking trash and fouling the crap out of us. The basketball bully was dictating the game and constantly talking to the ref, who he knew. I love watching players hustle after the ball and working hard to win, but when a player has to beat people down and publicly humiliate the other team to get enjoyment that is sick. After my head got smashed into the court I was ready to be done. I had lost all enjoyment in the game and for the first time ever I did not want to play. At one point the basketball bully air balled a free throw and my teammate laughed at his horrible attempt. The bully stared my teammate down and stated that this was just a game and he should not laugh. After hearing that I stared the bully straight in the eye and told him that he was right. The game of basketball is just a game, but that guy needs to eat his own words. The one positive note from the game was the pride that I had for my teammates. For the most part, my team kept their cool and did not give into the ego maniac's pathetic behavior. My hope is that when I get older and compete in future city league games I can play for fun and not try to relive my high school days by beating down younger and smaller players.

I found this video that sums up what the basketball bully was like, unfortunately for me and my team we did not have a happy ending.


No comments:

Post a Comment