Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Storm is coming

The Tri-City Storm finally ended their 19-game losing streak last night. I am happy to see that they finally picked up a "W." It is hard to imagine what the players must feel. They probably have a big weight lifted off their shoulders, but I think there will be other issues for the Storm besides winning and losing games.

As some of you may know the attendance at the hockey games have been less than stellar this season and with the team playing like they are it is not going to get better. It is unfortunate that people do not come out and enjoy an event that is pretty uncommon in central Nebraska. I understand that the ticket prices are pretty steep and maybe with a change in ownership the prices might come down. Although, that could be a long shot considering our current economic standing.

Many people question the need for the Storm here and I say it should stay. I work on the camera crew out at the arena and I really enjoy the games, even though it has been hard to watch this season. It is a fun atmosphere and before I started working there I had no interest in hockey, but now I pay more attention to them. I am not saying I am a die hard, but I do keep up to date on their record and even take a glance at what is going on in the NHL. The main reasons I think the team should stay is because it provides something different for people to go to. Instead of going to a basketball game or football game, the Storm provide a little more variety. Another reason is that there is a big arena that was originally designed for hockey so why would we not keep them around.

Maybe if the team sees that the community will rally around them, they will rally and earn some more wins before this season is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment